Tuesday, August 28, 2007

An Eye Opener

After visiting the UW Farm yesterday, I really felt as if I was able to see the vast ways in which people are able to produce their own food, and possibly live off of nothing more than their own productions. There were various foods that I most commonly associate with farming, from the vegetables such as lettuce and basil to the fruits such as tomatoes and berries. However the farm exceeded my usual understanding of gardens and farming, and ventured into asian spices that came from the outer shell of small berry looking plants, to the tarps that were used to trap the heat and keep the melons from freezing. I think what shocked me more than the wide variety of foods, was the fact that the farm had only been growing for two years! The vegetation and vast size of certain plants such as the enormous water lillies and the gorgeous sunflowers looked as if they had been there for decades, rather than two short years.

In addition to just understanding the history of the farm and seeing the different plants that were grown, I really felt I was given a first-hand experience of seeing where your food comes from, and the importance of organics. I've always tried to eat healthy, leaning towards wheat bread instead of white, or having a side salad instead of fries, but until yesterday I did not see the importance of actually thinking about and perhaps choosing where the ingredients of my foods come from. I cannot promise that I will become an avid organic eater, but I do see myself thinking about the food choices I make, and perhaps choosing organic foods or foods from local farmers markets when they are available.

No comments: