Friday, August 24, 2007

A Shared Meal

After reading Steven Feld's "The Boy Who Became A Muni Bird", I kept referring back to the section on 'food sharing'. The article describes that food sharing is more than just a physical act of sharing a meal or cooking together; rather it is a way to strengthen relationships, to bond people together, and to make a meal into an experience "meditated by food." I have eaten many meals with many people, usually family and friends, people I am comfortable with and am more than willing to eat and converse with.

However one meal that stands out more than any other meal in my mind was Valentine's Day 2004. My mom drove me over to my boyfriend at the time, Dustin's house. He had cooked me dinner, consisting of grilled chicken, fried zucchini and salad. He decorated the table with hearts and flowers, and added candle lighting to perfect the atmosphere. This was the first time a boy had ever made a meal for me, and also the first Valentine's Day I had ever had a boyfriend. This day stands out in my mind for more than just the food that was cooked, but for the entire ambiance of the evening.

Although Dustin and I did not refer to each other as the names of the food we ate that night, like the Bosavi tradition wi eledo involves, I do believe the meal strengthened our relationship and brought us closer together as a couple. It was the first night in my life where I felt a connection to him, and where I understood the meaning of romance. Before reading this article I had never thought beyond the act of kindness of the meal that night, but I am now able to see how it has significance that not only allows it to stand out in my mind as a favorite meal, but as an important moment in our relationship as well.

No comments: