Friday, August 31, 2007

Thought Provoking Pesto

Yesterday we prepared pesto sauce, using surprisingly just a few simple ingredients and a food processor, in the Husky Den Kitchen. Combining pine nuts, basil leaves, olive oil, garlic cloves, salt and parmesan cheese, we were able to blend a smooth and creamy pesto sauce. All of the ingredients were organic; therefore the sauce was healthy, pesticide free, and extremely tasty! I have never prepared an entirely organic meal or sauce or food item from scratch before, and after reading Ruth Ozeki's "All Over Creation" and discussing the importance of incorporating organic foods into our lifestyle in our class discussion on Thursday, I really felt as if I was putting our preaching into practice.

In addition to the significance of the pesto being organic, I could not help but think about the pesto that is made at my work, a deli in Danville, California. Also from scratch, our chefs prepare it in much the same way, however they do not implement solely organic ingredients into the pesto. The change that would need to be made to have organic pesto at my job seems so simple, and is now making me question why more people don't go organic in their lives, when the end result tastes exactly the same, and is better for our bodies as well.

Comparing the two experiences I have making pesto, it has inspired me to start thinking organic, and although it will probably be a gradual process, it seems like a healthy alternative to a situation that could end up hurting us in the long run.

No comments: